10/22/08

[Fall 2008 Anime] Kurozuka 1-3

Kurozuka
[Episodes 1-3 Review]
4/5 Hearts
-Introduction-
It's not often that an anime of this magnitude comes around. Usually when one does, I'm very hesitent of the nature the anime will have. The last time I watched an anime that was not only violent, I was somewhat dissapointed (let's not get into that though because I'd be getting into a whole 'nother review... which would take space away from this Kurozuka review). Currently, I'm liking this anime. It has a lot of potential that 90% of the fall 2008 animes lack... or have too little of. In fact, I'd say by looking at the first 3 episodes that Kurozuka just may be in my top 3 list by the time it reaches 5 episodes.
_____________________________________________________
Credits and Disclaimer(s):
All opinions expressed here are that of their individual owners and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Goggle Blogger nor that of their partners. The above image belongs to Madhouse Studios. I claim no ownership to any images used in my blogs unless stated otherwise, nor do I claim all these opinions as my own; just the ones that have Akia and/or Akia Tomiyo beside them (unless I'm the only one reviewing because then all the opinions are mine unless stated otherwise).
__________________________________________________________
-Plot Summary-
Kuro, a 12th-century man, flees into the mountains after losing to his brother, where he meets a strange, beautiful woman named Kuromitsu. Kuro falls in love with Kuromitsu but realizes she conceals a dark secret. She is unable to die and continues to live for thousands of years as Japan evolves into a future society. [Anime News Network]
I read this summary of the manga on mangavolume: After escaping from a brother who had just ascended the throne, Yoshitsune, along with his servant, comes across a house in the middle of a desolate mountain. Oddly enough, only a young woman lives there, who seems to possess a very dark and ominous past.
As you can clearly read, the manga version has Kuro's brother as owner of the throne but the anime has his brother as a dead man. Soooo, I wonder how the fans of the manga feel about this? To answer my own question, I've decided to read the manga (which, I've been warned, it's pretty hentai-ish). Once I've read the chapters that the first three episodes are bassed of I plan to post a review comparing the two on my blog. Be on the lookout for that!
__________________________________________________________
-The Music-
The opening music is a great way to start a series like this off. Unlike most of this seasons opening themes, this one makes no sense even though it's in English. This seems to add to Kurozuka almost as much as the Ef: A Tale of Melodies opening does! The ending theme on the other hand also adds rather than subtracts from the series on account of each episode tends to end on a 'I must watch the next episode' kind of note.
The background music is also really good. I can't say too much about it because I believe you'd have to watch the series to get the full feel for the music.
______________________________________________
-The Visuals-
If you're looking for that typical shonen anime look, you might as well walk away from this anime now because you will not get what you are looking for... in fact, this anime can't be put into any one animation category. I have a few small complaints about the animation style, mostly due to the very lanky legs that look like sticks that can barely hold up a small slab of meat let alone a grown man. Actually, that's my only real complaint and the only reason this anime does not get a full five stars.

No comments: